Sunday, July 29, 2012

Possible Approach: I Just Read the Koran…


Possible Approach: I Just Read the Koran…

Link to Citizen Warrior

Posted: 28 Jul 2012 07:19 PM PDT
I'm thinking of writing a series called "Possible Approaches."

How do you bring up the subject of Islam, jihad, etc., in polite company without seemingly coming out of nowhere and being seen as a paranoid, racist nutcase? One possible approach I've used many times with success goes like this:

First, ask in a casual way, “Do you know much about Islam?”

And then follow up with, “I just read the Koran, and it was so interesting. I mean, the first three fourths of it weren't very interesting, but the last fourth really surprised me. Did you know it was all written by one person?”

You could actually go in many different directions after, "I just read the Koran." Of course, the only people who can use this approach are people who have read the Koran, but if you have, this starts the conversation with you in a position of authority, immediately gets the other person interested, and sets the stage for some very straightforward education. Give it a shot and let us know how it worked.

And if you have tried other approaches that worked, please share them with your fellow citizen warriors. Leave a comment (by clicking here) or email us (by clicking here) and we'll put it in the comments for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment